If You’re Buying Jeans This Month, Let It Be One Of These
Forget the 1970s flare for a second and meet your new denim BFF.| August 11, 2016
With the rise of streetwear ignited by the likes of Vetements, Yeezy and Off White in the recent seasons, denim jeans are facing something of a revival. It is no longer just the thing you reach for when you don’t have the faintest idea about what to wear. Denim jeans have evolved – word of the week, thanks Pokémon Go! – and now have the ability to be statement pieces all on their own. Zips, giant wide-legs, Frankendenim, deconstructed tassels – just how many ways can you reinvent a pair of good ol’ denims? Plenty, apparently.
Plus, considering how jeans are basically the most versatile thing anyone can own, these new “statement” denim are then statement pieces that go with everything. Now, that is sweet music to our ears. It is like stepping onto a street full of sakura-covered Pokéstops, but better.
To get you started on exactly what kinds of jeans to add to your cart in the season to come, we’ve rounded them down to the following (and rounded them up above for your viewing pleasure). We wish you and your new denim BFF every happiness. Until the next one comes along, that is.
– The Destroyed Fringe: Think of a bell-bottom that has been through the shredder or the apocalypse and survived, very much like these from Paris Fashion Week.
– The Uneven-Hem-Meets-Patchwork: Where it looks like someone separated your jeans into two, maybe three or even four, proceeded to cut them into different lengths and then sewed them back together again.
– The Patchwork: Think Britney from 2001, but better. Much better.
– The I’m-A-Bootleg-But-Hey-There’s-A-Baby-Flare: We’ve said before that the black cropped flare is like the LBD of pants.
– The I-Got-It-From-My-Mama: What your mum (or dad!) would have loved in the ’80s and ’90s.
– The Giant Denim Culotte: Legs so big, you could hide a small child under there.
(Psst, we just got Facebook. Like us over here, maybe?)