10 Important Styling Lessons From The Best of Pre-Fall
As in, next year pre-fall. Yeah, it's good to plan ahead. Inspiration fountain running dry? Let these lessons lead the way.| December 21, 2016
People think you’re crazy when you plan for your outfits a week in advance? Imagine what they’ll say when you tell them you know exactly what you’re wearing slightly under a year from now. Even though we’ve barely dipped our toe into winter – pretend-winter for us – designers are already rolling out the Pre-Fall 2017 collections in full force. And boy, do they have ideas for you.
From what we can tell, velvet is still on the minds of everyone from Gucci to Fendi. Looks like all the velvet we’ve accumulated this season will be sticking around for a while. Told you velvet was a worthwhile investment, didn’t we? (Fendi has also decided to go for those embroidered sock-boots for the third season in a row. Yet another painful reminder that we still don’t have those boots on our hands.)
Hang on super tight for the other style lessons we’re putting in our “For Days When We Use Instagram And Other Things To Get Dressed” notebook. For some of our favourite looks of the season, scroll through the gallery above.
1. Adam Lippes tells you to drop the turtleneck-under-the-shirt act and go for high-neck blouses instead. Like this one, maybe? More elegant, we think.
2. Ah hah! Socks and matching open-toe shoes! We’re also digging the seriously oversized coat over a cropped trouser suit, MM6.
3. Too many white shirts? Here’s a DIY from Milly that you can do – cut of the bottom of one side and unpick the shoulder seams. Reverse underarm ventilation.
4. Fendi turns the utilitarian trouser into something date night-appropriate with a pussy bow shirt and dark textured coat.
5. Orange on orange on orange? Uh, yeah. Whoever said that orange is the new pink is NOT seriously disturbed. Victoria Beckham is the “whoever” in this case.
6. On that note – mint green knits over striped PJ pants and matching loafers. Basically sleepwear for the streets. APPROVED!
7. We know we said that the trench coat is the only coat that makes sense, but! If you’re looking for more than one coat to tide you through the cold, consider candy-coloured (faux) chubby furs, like this.
8. Forget bucket hats because LAMPSHADE HATS! Also, beanies with going-out wear? There’s an idea.
10. Jonathan Simkhai wants you to turn your PJ-inspired shirts into a one-shoulder. Or, you could layer those silky PJ bottoms under a slip dress. Once more – APPROVED!
All images via Vogue.com