This Shoestring Fries and Curry Ketchup Recipe Will Curb Your MacDonald’s Craving
It might not be the real deal but it'll bring some form of comfort as you countdown to the reopening of MacDonald's stores across the island.| April 24, 2020
2020 is shaping up to be quite the year to remember. Four months in and we’ve already lived through so many firsts. A global pandemic, the stay at home orders that have ensued as a result and a crashing economy that is said to be comparable to the Great Depression. Just when you think it couldn’t get any worse than it already is, surprise, it does. As the old adage goes, when it rains, it pours.
Earlier this week, MacDonald’s announced the temporary closure of all its outlets across the island in Singapore. All 135 outlets. And because the closure came with almost no lead time at all, most of us might not have gotten that one last kiss goodbye. I knew my Sunday mornings were not going to be the same without my usual pancake and sausage meal with an iced latte. And who was I gonna call when that supper craving hits in the dead of the night?
The only probable solution really is to do-it-yourself. Taking matters into your own hand will carry you through the next week before the doors to the mecca of fast food reopens. It might be a long shot but the following shoestring fries with mayonnaise and curry ketchup recipe by head chef Martin Wong of Lumo restaurant and bar will do the job to stave off your MacDonald cravings for now. As you countdown the days to start lovin’ it again, consider this as a bandaid over that broken heart of yours.
300g Frozen Shoestring Fries
800ml Vegetable Oil
100g Heinz Ketchup
10g Curry Powder
8g Dijon mustard
1/2 Egg Yolk
125g Grapeseed Oil
5g White Vinegar
1. Add Heinz ketchup and curry powder into a mixing bowl and mix well.
1. Separate egg yolk from egg white, add half of the egg yolk to mixing bowl with Dijon mustard.
2. Add in the grapeseed oil slowly and whisk till the mayonnaise emulsify.
3. Pour the white vinegar into a small pot and heat up till it comes to a boil.
4. Remove from the heat and mix it well with the mayonnaise.
1. Prepare a pot of vegetable oil and heat up to 180* degree Celsius and deep fry the frozen fries till golden brown or alternatively, air fry the fries.
2. Place the fries in a bowl and add salt to taste and toss.
What To Read Next: Recreate Fun Eye Makeup Looks that Are Instant Mood Lifters, The Bacteria-Zapping Gadget We Could All Use In Our Lives Right Now and How to Style This Thing: The Bandana that’s Back From the ’90s | Cover Image: Qide Sim.